44 The Warrior Archetype

Episode Forty-Four: The Soldier and the Sage

The yogis of Alexander’s India sat in silence, naked in the sun.

Yet to Telamon, our warrior philosopher, they were greater soldiers than any in Alexander’s army.

Today, we’ll examine how the Archetype of the Sage or the Mystic contains within it the virtues and strengths of the Warrior–and how Telamon perceived a chance at salvation for himself within this seeming contradiction.

Subscribe here for the full series, or watch previous episodes here

Subscribe here for the full series, or watch previous episodes here

1. bill on January 14, 2021 at 6:51 am

Very thought provoking! thanks.

2. Joe Jansen on January 14, 2021 at 8:42 am

As much as this series has been instructional and entertaining as a discussion of the warrior archetype, how it applies to the life of an artist or other civilian, how we transition from archetype to archetype, and an introduction to the character of Telamon, I’m finding something else here that’s useful for us as storytellers.

They say that the climax in a story should be surprising, but viewed in retrospect as inevitable. I’m seeing that we’ve been taken on that kind of journey in this video series. Even though I’ve read everything Steve’s written, I admit that the character of Telamon had loitered in the periphery of my awareness. He wasn’t up front like Xeones in Gates, or Gent in The Profession, Bones or Selene in Last of the Amazons, or Chap in Rommel, Matthias in The Afghan Campaign.

Maybe we started out believing we’s be talking in a little more depth about things we’d read in The Warrior Ethos. But step-by-step, we’re led to the surprising but inevitable conclusion: a new story with Telamon in the lead.

This video series itself is a masterclass in story structure. Thanks for this gift, Diana and Steve.

3. Andrew lubin on January 14, 2021 at 11:11 am

While the world knows and admires Alexander, it’s Telamon who deserves our respect. It’s a rare individual who can move from one archetype to the next as did Telamon from Warrior to Sage. Gen Mattis is the rarity; most of our WW2 leaders like Eisenhower and Marshall commanded from London, instead of the battlefield before their civilian finales.

On a smaller scale I admire our Marines and soldiers 2001-2012 who fought in Iraq and Afg, many on numerous deployments, before mustering out to finish college, build a career, and start families. From kickass Artilleryman to loving husband and father.. is that not a modern version of Warrior to Sage?

• Brian Nelson on January 14, 2021 at 1:16 pm

Andrew,
      Honestly, you last comment is why part of me thinks some type of conscripted–or at least so favorable (free tuition, VA loans, 50% increase in government job applications…a bit Heinlein-ish) that only the super elites or irredeemable sociopath choose not to serve. It profoundly goes against the thick libertarian streak in me–but the upside to individuals, families, communities, and our nation as a whole trumps my ideological lean towards smaller government and liberty.

I rationalize this from my own experience–and the truth that I wasn’t mature enough for liberty prior to my military experience. Something just occurred to me while writing this. For most of my adult life I have ‘longed’ for good political leadership that I could admire, use to model my own behavior. I think I may have been looking in the wrong places. It might be the artists. It might be the honorable entrepreneurs. It might be the innovators. Maybe politics have become so personally rewarding (read somewhere that most congressmen and senators leave office wealthier than when they entered…and yes, I deliberately chose not to capitalize) that the lure of power/wealth is too much for us mortals. Everyone becomes corrupt, and only those who stay out–or limit their exposure to 4-8 years can leave with integrity.

That said, I like Tulsi Gabbord, and I like Dan Crenshaw. I’d support a ticket with either of them as POTUS and the other as VP. I follow Bret Weinstein’s DarkHorse Podcast, and his effort at the Unity project was an idea I support. Let’s put the two top exec together from opposite teams.

In an ironic way, I almost see this very similar to the Commander/1SG, BC/CSM relationship.
      bsn
      bsn

• Andrew lubin on January 14, 2021 at 4:32 pm

Brian; I’d add Reps Jason Crowe, Col, and Seth Moultrie, Ma, Army, USMC with combat time in Afg and Iraq to your list. Both were ready to defend rheir collegues, as opposed to the ones sitting unmasked and infecting others

A mandatory draft, w/no exemptions except for serious medical issues is in order. Too nany knuckleheads out there screaming about patriotism yet are tbe last to volunteer gor anything except the chow line

And that’s what makes Telamon’s move from Warrior to Sage even more impressive. Being hired muscle is easy; being a Sage is as difficult as being a Warrior. And the discipline required to excel in each is awesome training to suceed in the 1st CivDiv!

4. hostinark on January 19, 2021 at 2:36 am

The brides from Japan have very special charms and character traits that distinguish them from western women, but also women from other parts of Asia. They have a good understanding https://legitmailorderbride.net/ of a very pretty and stylish appearance. Due to charm and erotic charisma, many men would like to get to know the Japanese mail order brides.

5. venge io on April 5, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Wars may never have an end, not armed wars are also political, economic, .. When will we have real peace?

6. Alex zxc on June 17, 2021 at 1:55 pm

想要真正学好数学,就一定要培养自己的数学思维。数学代写也经常提醒同学们,不仅要知其然,更要知其所以然。那么数学思维都有哪些类型呢?在说数学思维的类型之前,先来说一说数学思维是什么。数学思维的重点在逻辑推理和数学抽象思维能力上面,想要提升自己的数学思维能力,就要从这两点入手。数学思维主要分为两类,一类是根据思维类别进行的划分,这种类别之下的数学思维可以是发散思维和收敛思维,发散思维中包括想象和表象,而收敛性思维中蕴含各种逻辑分析的内容。第二类是根据教学内容进行的划分,主要有算术思维、代数思维、几何思维和微积分思维这几种。

7. cookie clicker on July 4, 2021 at 8:19 pm

I am admit that the character of Telamon had loitered in the periphery of my awareness.