1 The Warrior Archetype

Episode One: Introducing The Warrior Archetype

Today begins a new video series. I’ll be spending the next several months talking about what I call The Warrior Archetype. This series will look at the idea of what a warrior is in ancient times and modern times; the internal battle and the external battle; the warrior in each of us. Hope you’ll join me. Looking forward to comments and new conversations.

Subscribe here for the full series, or watch previous episodes here

Subscribe here for the full series, or watch previous episodes here

1. Madalena on August 17, 2020 at 4:25 pm

I forgot who said: “We don’t see things as they are – but as who we are”.
    So, how do we perceive the archetype warrior? Do you see a true warrior as a hero governed by a spiritual force that battles for love, righteousness and something that is worth dying for? Is the warrior’s journey and emotional experience more important than the battle? Or is the transition of the way of the warrior, from start to final outcome more important than the battle itself?

So, what characteristic does a warrior have? And does their reason to endure at whatever cost, make them hero’s whatever the outcome?

2. Madalena on August 17, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Firstly,
    Rule 1: Never do your VAT returns after a bottle of Shiraz;
    Rule 2: Don’t be distracted – and wonder to your favourite author’s forum;
    Rule 3: Learn some self control, and refrain on posting on ‘said’ blog;
    If that fails, acknowledge that you will need to fight off that cringing feeling the next day because you ignored all ‘said’ rules.

I apologize. This is the only forum that resonates. It’s a place where you can find the inspiration from Steve, and all the advice from writers who comment that actually have something worthwhile to offer. In a world where everyone is selling but there’s nothing I want worth buying – I can find a measure of creativity here.
    True voices expressing themselves without fear, or for audience approval, is a rare commodity these days. And if you want to know what a true warrior looks like – find yourself a mirror.

Just so you know…Scarily enough, I am classed as sane. I have a certificate written in red crayon adorned with a rainbow that proves it!

• Sheryl on August 20, 2020 at 4:49 am

So funny, Madelena, I liked the first post better. Don’t stress. You are among friends. Creative people, trying to make our own path. We’re all hacking through the underbrush together. You made a great post better by musing with us about it. Encouraging us to consider what our take was. Thanks for being here. I look forward to your thoughts on future episodes.

3. Yvonne on August 28, 2020 at 12:30 pm

I’m very much looking forward to this series — I think it will be exactly what I need. Thank you for this Steve!

4. monica on September 3, 2020 at 6:11 am

amazing series.. i just loved it..

5. Anonymous on September 8, 2020 at 6:18 am

Excited about this series and I also love hearing the birds in the background!

6. Becky Blanton on October 21, 2020 at 8:36 am

The “warrior” mindset is one of “Us versus Them.” It’s a fighting, defensive stance against something or someone. It’s about a battle and the mental mindset is one at odds and hyper-vigilance. Is that the best mindset for you? It works for some, but not others. Police who have a “warrior mindset” see their world as “Us (police) against Them (community).” A Guardian mindset is better for them. Yet, for our military, a warrior mindset is better. It keeps them alive.

Are there more than Warrior and Guardian mindsets available? Of course. They’re archetypes and there are many – wise man/wise woman, healer, teacher…maybe it’s not about one specific mindset all the time, but about the traits or characteristics of that mindset. A warrior is:

Hypervigilant
    Focused
    Determined
    Disciplined
    Relentless
    Protective. and so on.

Rather than focusing on the “fighting” – as in “War on Drugs,” or “War on mental health,” or “War on ____” examine what qualities a warrior has rather than search out that endorphin rush from anger, or the imagery of battle. The reason OLD generals dictate battle strategy and young men fight that strategy is that war is STRATEGIC and fighting and dying is EMOTIONAL.

“Strategy is the art of the conduct of war, tactics the art of fighting.”

Be an OLD, wise warrior, not a young, dumb one.

• Mick O' Lally on December 30, 2020 at 1:32 pm

well done…

7. Brent Cantrell on November 13, 2020 at 2:08 am

If the muse is a mysterious lady of night, resistence is the ogre that has her chained to a shack in the swamp. You must rescue her every time you sit down to write.
    Steven, you changed my life. Thanks.

• Rich Newman on December 13, 2020 at 1:07 am

Thank you for these videos I have only just stumbled across.
      Gates of Fire has been my favourite book since reading it over 20 years ago while serving in the military and I have literally just finished War of Art.
      Kind regards Rich Newman

8. Marcus on December 8, 2020 at 4:33 pm

Mr. Pressfield,

I just wondered into your camp. I have a battle to fight that just became escalated unexpectedly. I look forward to following your leadership into the fray.

9. Nate Zinsser on December 16, 2020 at 8:29 am

Steve,

I have exhaustively read and re-read BOTH Gates of Fire and War of Art. Both have contributed imensely to my development. When can I get you backat West Point?

Dr Nate Zinsser

10. Susanne Dejanovich on December 17, 2020 at 7:05 am

Steven Pressfield is brilliant. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and encouragement to man. Blessings. It is also very encouraging to read other people’s “sane” comments.