26 The Warrior Archetype

Episode Twenty-Six: We Are All Spartans

Why have we concentrated so intensely in this series on the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae?

Because you and I are in a battle too.

Like the Spartans, we know the outcome in advance.

No miracle will save us.

No truce, no negotiation, and certainly no “victory” will see us off the field alive.

Our question is the same as the Spartans’:

What are we going to do about it?

1. Barbara Newton-Holmes on November 12, 2020 at 6:12 am

Wow! Can’t wait. Thanks, Steve. I’m looking forward to it all.

2. Andrew+Lubin on November 12, 2020 at 6:29 am

There’s no dishonor in losing, the dishonor is in quitting, or not even trying. So my simple goal is to do the best I can for as long as I can. Be it writing-working out-being a father – grandfather, I want to earn a a legacy of ‘he gave it his all.’ None of us will be the next Robert Leckie, Steve Pressfield, or James Brady, but how sad never to have tried!

3. Joe Jansen on November 12, 2020 at 7:34 am

There’s something transcendent about this one today. And a very Stoic perspective that “none of us leave this field alive.” One of the challenges (to me) is recognizing that this is not a morose perspective, but one to be embraced. The sharp, acute, exquisite perception that it’s all temporary. Part of the beauty of a desert flower is in the awareness that its life is short. Really appreciating this series.

4. Jim on November 12, 2020 at 1:17 pm

“We are all Spartans….and none of us will get off this battlefield alive. So what are we gonna do about it?”
    This series is incredible. An eon worth of hard earned love, knowledge and experience in these videos…
    Jim

5. Jennifer Pearlmutter on November 14, 2020 at 2:34 pm

I’ve been reading the transcripts of this series from the start but have never read the comments or commented myself. I thought this week’s episode deserved a few heartfelt words. I am really loving this series. I like the simple way the concepts are explained and I find myself nodding as I read, completely agreeing with everything. This doesn’t happen very often, believe me! As a writer, I’m always looking for ways to level up, new ideas to explore, different perspectives to learn from. This series has provided all that and then some so thank you. I don’t know what I’ll do with all this newfound inspiration but it’s left its mark in such a positive way.

6. Diana on November 14, 2020 at 7:27 pm

The videos gain from your presence, so really live. But the subject matter…metta & mondo beyondo. A thousand years of psychotherapy saved. Because of you, things are getting the wrestle they’ve needed for years. Thank you, I think. Please keep sharing how to carry….on, our own can, useful tools. Your experience and what you value out of it is riveting.