23 The Warrior Archetype

Episode Twenty-Three: The Inner Battle

This episode was not in our schedule.

We stumbled upon the cottage you’ll see behind me in the video.

It prompted me to recall an “inner war” that changed my life years ago, beneath a red-tile roof just like this one.

1. Joe Jansen on November 2, 2020 at 6:03 am

Man, I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share things that might make you feel vulnerable. You’re doing good work.

2. George Carpenter on November 2, 2020 at 7:23 am

Thanks for sharing Steve. I’ve always loved that story and moved to Florida myself to get away and work on getting it together. Would love to here more.

Sincerely,
    George Carpenter

3. Bonnie L Lacy on November 2, 2020 at 7:35 am

Yup. Everyday.

Thank you for being transparent.

Bonnie

4. andrew lubin on November 2, 2020 at 8:07 am

Absolutely! Resistance vs Submission; it’s like the struggle between good and evil except it pertains to me.

With every article I write, my nerves frazzle just before I hit the ‘send’ button. Will they like it? Is it good enough? If I edit it yet one more time can I make it better? And the all-important; if it’s not good enough now, how can I make it better? So I re-read and likely tweak it one more time – and then punch the ‘send’ button. And on to the next week’s: keep attacking!

5. Brian Nelson on November 2, 2020 at 8:42 am

Steve,
    I know you’ve shared that our beliefs go beyond the material world. When you were in that shack, in the heat of the battle, how often did you look up for support? I don’t want to ‘pin you down’ on a religious belief, but did your efforts there, quietly alone in a room (Pascual..) help reinforce a belief in God? A God? A supernatural presence? An intelligence that is Good?

I won’t say that I’ve been atheist for the past 35 years, but I did fall away from the Christian faith. When I grew up, the tenants of Christianity were suffused with the 7 Deadly Sins, violence, betrayal, confusion, abuse…and so I only saw the hypocrisy in what I was being taught. At the time, I thought I learned the right lesson.

That cynicism has stayed with me for years. 2020 has brought a catastrophe to our lives, but one upside is the kindling of the idea of the Divine. Now I’m trying to figure out how to reach out and open up to this.

In my agnostic days, I thought that the Spirit of God wouldn’t want to enter a ‘dirty’ vessel, so one should clean their own house before expecting a visit from the Divine.

As I’ve thought about “War of Art”, “Turning Pro”, “Do the Work”, and this video series–I guess is that you would answer, “Doing your work is what God wants you to do. When you do your part, He/She does his…” The Muse sitting on your shoulder, the tamping down of self-destructive thoughts/behaviors long enough to build some ballast for the day…

It might be a chicken or egg question, but I’m thinking of the actual ‘tactical application’ of spirituality.

Maybe this is a clearer question. When did a stronger belief in the non-material world happen? Before or after your year?

Thanks. As you’ve heard 1000s of times, I cannot thank you enough for what you’re doing.
    bsn

6. Barbara L. Newton-Holmes on November 2, 2020 at 8:52 am

As always, amazing, Steve. I and so many of us are so grateful for your telling your story to us, shining a light on the path. Thanks.

7. Sam Luna on November 2, 2020 at 11:21 am