Flash back with me to the late 80s/early 90s, the screenwriting heyday of Shane Black, Joe Esterhazs and the spec script. At that time, studios were looking for a very specific type of material. That material was called High Concept.

Speed

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in "Speed," a classic High-Concept premise

The High Concept era was the exact time I started finding work in Tinseltown. High Concept was what I cut my teeth on. I used to beat my brains out, trying to come up with high concepts.

What exactly is High Concept?

Let’s start with its opposite, low concept. Low concept stories are personal, idiosyncratic, ambiguous, often European.  “Well, it’s a sensitive fable about a Swedish sardine fisherman whose wife and daughter find themselves conflicted over … ”

ZZZZZZZZ.

Low concept can be great. Personally I go to a lot of low concept movies. But low concept is low. High Concept is high.

1. A high concept story can be pitched in 30 seconds or less.

2. A high concept notion doesn’t depend on stars.

3. It’s almost impossible to screw up high concept (though plenty of us did.)

Here are three classic high concept premises:

“Speed.” A criminal rigs a bus full of passengers to explode if the vehicle’s speed drops below 55 mph.  Cop and innocent gal must save bus and passengers.

“Basic Instinct.” Homicide detective finds himself in a torrid love affair with a sexy female suspect who may be the ice-pick murderess he is trying to capture.

“Die-Hard.” Terrorist gang takes hostages in office high-rise after dark, seeking millions from the company’s vault. What the criminals don’t know is that one resourceful cop (whose estranged wife is one of the hostages) is in the building, aiming to stop them (and save his wife.)

Die-Hard

Bruce Willis in "Die-Hard"

The original Terminator was high concept, Jurassic Park was high concept, Rocky was high concept.

In pitching high concept, we don’t have to describe the climax. The climax is obvious. And it’s juicy.

Nor do we need to specify the action set-pieces along the way. They write themselves.

In high concept, premise is everything.

Subtlety? Who needs it?

Depth? R U kidding?

Irony? Fuggedaboutit!

All that being said, I don’t knock high concept. I love high concept.

When high concept ruled, the writer was king. Star scripters raked in big-time dinero. Spec pitches went for six figures.

But what I like about high concept (or, more exactly, thinking in high concept terms) goes deeper than the monetary payoff. It’s that HC thinking forces you, the writer, to boil your idea down to its absolute essence. What is this story about? What’s the beginning, what’s the middle, what’s the end?

Shane, which is a tragedy worthy of the Attic stage, can be HC-ized to this:

Gunfighter seeks to free himself from his past, only to discover that his skill with a six-shooter draws him inexorably back into the world of violence he is trying to escape.

When we as writers think in high concept terms (or simply use HC as a tool in our kit), we construct a story the way an engineer builds a bridge. We plant a powerful foundation on the near shore (the inciting incident), then an equally strong base on the far shore (the climax.) We structure the pair so that the near-shore foundation inexorably propels the story toward the far-shore payoff. Then we erect an exciting, beautiful, well-supported span in between.

What’s wrong with that?

Shakespeare did it. So did Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides. Dante did it, Milton did it, Trey Parker and Matt Stone do it.

There is nothing cheap or “commercial” or formulaic about a solid premise that propels a story via a powerful throughline to an inevitable, thrilling and satisfying climax.

The trick is to enlist the principles of HC in the service of material that actually has something to say. If you can do that, you’ve got Hamlet, you’ve got The Godfather, you’ve got Louis CK Live at the Beacon.

[P.S. Thanks, friends, for being patient with the slo-o-o-w arrival of Turning Pro. We’ve run into a few production glitches. We’ll have it soon, very soon, I promise!]

DO THE WORK

Steve shows you the predictable Resistance points that every writer hits in a work-in-progress and then shows you how to deal with each one of these sticking points. This book shows you how to keep going with your work.

do the work book banner 1

THE AUTHENTIC SWING

A short book about the writing of a first novel: for Steve, The Legend of Bagger Vance. Having failed with three earlier attempts at novels, here's how Steve finally succeeded.

The-Authentic-Swing

NOBODY WANTS TO READ YOUR SH*T

Steve shares his "lessons learned" from the trenches of the five different writing careers—advertising, screenwriting, fiction, nonfiction, and self-help. This is tradecraft. An MFA in Writing in 197 pages.

noboybookcover

TURNING PRO

Amateurs have amateur habits. Pros have pro habits. When we turn pro, we give up the comfortable life but we find our power. Steve answers the question, "How do we overcome Resistance?"

Turning-Pro

A Man At Arms is
on sale now!

Don't miss out on exclusive bonuses available to early buyers!

1. Reallaw on April 25, 2012 at 3:54 am

Thanks Steven as always! Giving us tools to make our ideas better. Double thumbs up!! 🙂 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G13qTo2o-_U&feature=youtu.be

2. Paul C on April 25, 2012 at 5:59 am

Another high concept movie from the ’90s is the Clint Eastwood Secret Service movie “In the Line of Fire.” The recent Secret Service scandal reminds me of Clint Eastwood telling the female Secret Service agent Renee Russo that she “needs to get laid.”
    And this:

Frank Horrigan (Clint Eastwood): How’s the First Lady? She ask about me?
    Lilly Raines (Rene Russo): Have you gotten to know them yet?
    Frank Horrigan: Well, I normally prefer not to get to know the people I’m protecting.
    Lilly Raines: Oh, yeah? Why’s that?
    Frank Horrigan: Well, you never know. You might decide they’re not worth taking a bullet for.

3. Jonathan Gilbert on April 25, 2012 at 6:18 am

Thanks, Steve! As a recovering engineer who used to build bridges, your vision has helped me with a sagging, faltering span that has no foundation on the far shore. HC indeed!

• Warren J. Duffey on April 28, 2012 at 9:14 am

HEY Jonathon and all other wobbly Writing Wednesday Warriors! I am nothing but a 53yrold recovering,broke,has been Carpenter,hard struggling,alone*,self destructive liver of life- I will start writing for publication soon- HOWEVER when I get up early and leave it all behind and read a little WW you can beat me with me a stick and I will be NON-too grateful- I learn inspiration,I learn about words, and I learn the long,hard,solitary road we warrior type independent thinkers travel is the road we always wanted to travel-I HAD NO IDEA OF the Real Glory in subduing resistance , follwing dreams, truly getting out of myself,AD INFINITUM! I gotta get Steve,\’ new book!

4. Basilis on April 25, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’ve never thought it with this terms.
    I suppose that the only way to screw up a HC story is to try to put depth.

5. Mark Lawson on April 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

Steven! Thank you so much for all your work and Writing Wednesdays in particular. After today’s post I had to leave a comment. I just wanted to share with you that you’ve been a phantom coach for me over the last year and a half. On April 14th (three and a half weeks after the birth of my first child) I finally typed “Fade to Black” on the second draft of my first screenplay. The other ideas are lined up like tin cans ready to be shot off a log. I’m looking forward to devouring and recommending Turning Pro!

Thanks for all you do!

• Steven Pressfield on April 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

Congratulations, Mark – on your first child and your screenplay. I’m not sure which one is harder!

6. ChrisCav on April 25, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Steve you may not have intended it but I’m pretty sure you just revolutionized the resume. Holy cow!

7. Joel D Canfield on April 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm

. . . and clarified the difference between the two types of mystery I write: the HCs I bang out for fun, and the LCs I wheedle and nudge to birth because otherwise I’ll cry.

8. complete currency trader bonus on April 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Tend not to move are living until you have exercised for a simulated profile. James noted him self and also the display to get a months time frame since they reviewed the areas plus signed up with trading right away, supplying a full criticism from the objects the guy was initially considering along with exactly why your dog essential a investments he or she does. There is almost nothing cherry selected. James Edward can be a experienced trader that created mounds last calendar year while he began jogging a number of reside broker teaching lessons.

• rafay on May 26, 2021 at 10:40 am

This is good to read this story, I am not late 80s or 90s but after reading this, I got realize that this is really amazing story. Actually, I have no interest in reading stories but artificial grass shop in karachi has shared some content which is good.

9. William VRiley on November 29, 2019 at 3:27 am

Another high idea motion picture from the ’90s is the Clint Eastwood Secret Service motion picture “In the Line of Fire.” The ongoing Secret Service outrage helps me to remember Clint Eastwood confessing to the female Secret Service operator Renee Russo that she “needs to get laid.” Movies from the ’80s and ’90s have a totally different concept from today’s concept I have written an essay through best essay writer on 80’s & 90’s movie comparison with 21 century.

10. Exclusive-Paper.com on January 8, 2020 at 5:45 am

Our aim is that everyone can have a rest while buying a college assignment online from Exclusive-Paper.com because they know their personal data is kept safe and secure. We strive to ensure our cooperation, so a great number of customers return to us regularly.

11. Assignment Provider on April 16, 2020 at 10:29 am

students help with all kinds of assignment requests and academic writings. BookMyEssay custom writing team takes the requests and provides the best resultant output to the students as we work round the clock. Our assignment providers team consists of experts and professionals who work on the requests given by students and give high quality output.

12. Libby Howells on August 4, 2020 at 4:53 am

Amazing post, Thanks for sharing this wonderful information!
    Online Course Help

13. Frank Alston on September 2, 2020 at 1:35 am

Amazing post, Thanks for sharing this wonderful information! best writing services

14. 247EssayService.com on September 12, 2020 at 1:00 am

Story views, treatments, and screenplays will all have premises of High Concept. But, because they are pitch oriented, only High Concept undertakings can be offered from a pitch. This is the reason why titles such as “Mash Up,” “Star Wars” and “Sideways” will never be sold out of a presentation.

15. Crystal R. Marks on September 14, 2020 at 11:19 pm

Thanks a lot for this samedayessay review

16. chrisgail on October 2, 2020 at 10:59 pm

We should not take tension about any task because tension is the biggest and dangerous evil for us and we lose our sense cheap dissertation writing service

17. Laura on November 17, 2020 at 5:48 am

This is one the best films to see, I remember the bus jumping from a broken bridge that was a lit scene and people still remember, professional home stagers near me – barnandbasil brought a TV and I watched this whole movie few years ago, thinking to binge watch it again.

18. wootenhuber361 on December 28, 2020 at 1:52 am

So the Instagram engagement rate calculator can bring massive improvement to your Instagram profile if used properly. Now you are aware of all the important aspects that you should know about the Instagram engagement calculator. You can now download private Instagram videos easily by yourself without much effort.

19. Palmer Mili on January 22, 2021 at 6:14 am

Hello, I would like to thank you for sharing this material. It’s quite useful information. I’m sure it will be great for a lot of people. Personally, I will use it in my https://writer-elite.com/ task

20. instagram downloader for pc on January 29, 2021 at 5:34 am

Instagram downloader is a web application that is free to use. So using our free Instagram downloader tool you can download any public/private Instagram photos, Instagram videos, IGTV videos, profile pictures & Instagram stories directly to your device (iPhone, Android, Pc or Mac).

21. hellonwood40 on March 23, 2021 at 5:27 am

So, if used correctly, the Instagram engagement rate calculator will greatly boost your Instagram profile. You now have a full understanding of what you need to know about the Instagram engagement calculator. You can now conveniently and quickly assignment writing service UK videos on your own.

22. Darling in the franxx hoodie on April 2, 2021 at 3:38 am

Great post!
    I haven’t known about it before. This article is very helpful!
    Thank you so much!

23. Jones Elizabeth on April 24, 2021 at 2:27 am

It is actually mostly unattainable to find well-educated women and men on this area, however, you come across as like you understand the things that you’re talking about! Excellent Flooded Basement NJ

24. James Owens on April 26, 2021 at 10:40 pm

Old movies are conceptual movies, and in today’s world, I have no found anyone that I like. If you want to have fun, play games with your friends and concentrate on your academic career. Assignment Writing Services UK

25. Jones Elizabeth on April 27, 2021 at 7:35 am

It’s almost impossible to find well-advised men or women on this content, even though you come across as like you fully understand the things you’re covering! Excellent DKT Practice test

26. Abrar Ak on April 28, 2021 at 3:21 am

It’s actually mostly close to impossible to encounter well-educated men and women on this matter, regrettably you come across as like you know which you’re writing on! Many Thanks Click Here

27. Mica on May 12, 2021 at 6:05 am

On the off chance that more individuals that compose articles truly fretted about composing extraordinary substance like you, more perusers would be occupied with their compositions. more info

28. George Harry on May 26, 2021 at 4:23 am

High concept the late 80s and early 90s movies those who are eager to see films, They should read this blog https://www.assignmentsplanet.co.uk/nursing-assignment-writing/.

29. brockhampton store on June 7, 2021 at 2:34 am

Brockahmpton merch give us quality of shirts, hoodies and shoes in lowest price.get fast shipping.

30. Rachael Robinson on June 8, 2021 at 2:40 am

Oh, it’s a perfect match for me. I like old movies. This is my favorite kind of spending time. It is a perfect weekend when I spend it in a nice company drinking something red and semi-sweet and watching a fine movie. Unfortunately, it is far away from me right now. I hope the writer from https://quality-essay.com/apa-paper-writing.html will help me to proceed with writings and make my weekend closer.

31. Brand Axio on June 16, 2021 at 10:32 am

With our premium web designers, you get the finest web design services in the USA. We are a reputed USA Web Design company and serve our clients with pride.

32. astroworldmerch on June 25, 2021 at 12:04 am

Astroworld Merch Official Store for Travis Scott Astroworld Merch Fans.Available Fashion Tees, Astroworld Hoodies, Sweatshirts And Shoes.Get fast shipping in Worldwide.

33. Jessica Simon on July 1, 2021 at 3:20 am

So the cutest pictures. I adore this movie. Thank you for sharing this post with us. I’m a student and I often need to write many essays. I need to write an overview for my University and I want to pay for a literature review https://qualityessay.net/pay-for-literature-review.html

34. rush my logo on July 31, 2021 at 7:43 am

The concept was really a good one, you can have the best one for your business from the rush my logo