The Villain Doesn’t Change, Part Two

It’s unfortunate that the term “McGuffin”—meaning that thing that the Villain wants—sounds so dopey.

Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon in Ron Shelton’s “Bull Durham”

Unfortunate because there’s a lot of meat to this idea.

I suspect Alfred Hitchcock, the person we associate most with the term McGuffin, wanted the name to sound silly. In his mind it didn’t matter what the McGuffin was—the nuclear codes, the letters of transit, the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. All that mattered for him was that the villain wanted it.

But the idea that the villain wants something—that he or she has an object of desire—is a topic worth examining in greater detail.

We’ve said in previous posts that

The villain never changes.

And further that

If the villain were capable of change, he’d be the hero.

Another way of putting this is that

The McGuffin never changes.

The villain wants the same thing at the end of the story as he or she did at the start.

King Herod wanted to kill the baby Jesus.

Niander Wallace (Jared Leto) in Blade Runner 2049 wanted to kill the baby replicant.

Vic Hoskins (Vincent D’Onofrio) in Jurassic World wanted to weaponize the baby velociraptors.

We’ll never know of course, but it’s a pretty good bet that King Herod was not capable of waking up in the middle of the night and declaring, “Gee, this is a bad idea, killing all the innocents in Judea. Let me summon my generals and rescind that order.”

The villain never changes because what he/she wants never changes.

On the other hand, let’s consider the hero.

The hero does change

And

The hero is capable of wanting something different at the end of the story than he or she did at the start.

In fact you could make a strong case that the hero MUST change her or his want … that, in fact, that’s what makes her or him a hero.

Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) in The Silence of the Lambs goes from wanting to be a good little FBI agent to wanting to come into her own as an independent individual.

Cathy Whitaker (Julianne Moore) in Far from Heaven goes from wanting to be a good wife and proper suburbanite to wanting to find out who she really is and what her real best life ought to be.

Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) in Bull Durham goes from wanting to keep playing ball as long as he can (and being a cool single dude) to wanting to make it to the majors as a manager (and bring Annie Savoy [Susan Sarandon] along.)

In other words, it isn’t just that

The villain does not change

while

The hero does change.

DO THE WORK

Steve shows you the predictable Resistance points that every writer hits in a work-in-progress and then shows you how to deal with each one of these sticking points. This book shows you how to keep going with your work.

do the work book banner 1

THE AUTHENTIC SWING

A short book about the writing of a first novel: for Steve, The Legend of Bagger Vance. Having failed with three earlier attempts at novels, here's how Steve finally succeeded.

The-Authentic-Swing

NOBODY WANTS TO READ YOUR SH*T

Steve shares his "lessons learned" from the trenches of the five different writing careers—advertising, screenwriting, fiction, nonfiction, and self-help. This is tradecraft. An MFA in Writing in 197 pages.

noboybookcover

TURNING PRO

Amateurs have amateur habits. Pros have pro habits. When we turn pro, we give up the comfortable life but we find our power. Steve answers the question, "How do we overcome Resistance?"

Turning-Pro

1. Vanya Erickson on July 31, 2019 at 8:11 am

Thank you for this. Totally made my morning. It’s lovely when my instincts are spot on, having just realized my protagonist’s wants have changed.

2. Hiram on July 31, 2019 at 8:34 am

So what we want can change day by day and its normal.
    Follow your instincts is the way to go and don’t let the fear of the villains hold you. Thank you Pressfield!

3. Mia Sherwood Landau on July 31, 2019 at 8:36 am

Oh, oh, oh how I love this. so refined and brilliant. Just heard Shawn Coyne in a recent interview and he was describing the dynamics of this, but didn’t say THE sentence, “It’s that what the Villain wants doesn’t change, while what the hero wants does.” Somebody else might call it personal growth, but your sentence nails sharp-pointed reality. If what we want doesn’t change, we will never change. Period. We just rot as we are. Just love this, Steven.

4. John Braddock on July 31, 2019 at 9:04 am

Interesting that your insights on the villain’s wants not changing aligns with an Alinsky technique to turn the other side into a villain: “”Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

In the spy movie Ronin, there’s a classic McGuffin (briefcase), with Robert De Niro’s character chasing it. You’re not sure who the villain is right away, but as the villain is revealed, it’s clear he’ll sacrifice anyone/anything to get it. De Niro’s character changes and chooses something greater. It’s a great movie, and the CIA’s Head of Recruitment recommended it to me: https://medium.com/@spysguide/a-spys-guide-to-spy-movies-ronin-500ccea44a69

• "Smoke" Stoker on July 31, 2019 at 10:23 am

Umm… John? That little bit of intel on the movie was just supposed to be between you and me, buddy. My Netflix queue is a matter of national security. Now I have to change my passwords again.

Ernesto “Smoke” Stoker
      CIA Directorate of Recruiting, Retention, and Retribution
      Head (ret’d)

5. Bane on July 31, 2019 at 10:55 am

The Muse has recently kicked my ass into an ALL IS LOST MOMENT. Inciting incident/all is lost moment/epiphany. Text book. And in the dust that is my life this post could not have come at a better time. Thank you.

6. Allderdice on July 31, 2019 at 11:33 am

Dick Cheney would make a good villain. Here’s a description of him on 9/11 “whipping his neck around” to say “Of course the order (to stand down a hit on the flight headed for the Pentagon) still stands!” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlM8Sui6-X0

7. Paul Garrett on July 31, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Intetesting. Darth Vader came immediately o mind. How does his last minute repentance figure into this?

• Joe Jansen on August 1, 2019 at 5:04 am

I’ve always thought of it as Vader and Anakin being two separate entities. Vader, machine-like, remained unrepentant and a servant of the dark side, and might be viewed as having taken Anakin hostage.

Anakin the man, the source of Vader’s ostensible and occasional ambivalence, was able to reawaken and reclaim his humanity in those final moments. If we view them as two separate beings, we don’t have to break the credo of “the villain never changes.”I don’t know if that was George Lucas’s intent, but it’s one way to read it.

• Steven Pressfield on August 1, 2019 at 8:31 am

Right on, Joe!

• Joe on August 7, 2019 at 4:14 am

This reminds me of the time Tony Bourdain said my soup had just the right amount of salt.

8. Beverly Cashman on August 2, 2019 at 12:11 pm

I was searching for books but it’s not available easily can you please guide me to get it?

9. Kim on August 2, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Awesome. I totally hear you! 🙂

10. Vicki Madden on August 6, 2019 at 2:24 am

Such a helpful post. It makes me realize that even in a family history investigation — why did my grandfather have my 18-year-old grandmother sterilized without her knowledge? — identifying the villain/McGuffin makes structure more clear. At a moment of self-doubt, this has given me fuel for the process. Thank you.

11. Robert Farrell on August 15, 2019 at 7:00 pm

What about the Big Lebowski? He wanted nothing, was dragged into bizarre circumstances and then, when the case was solved, went back to being the same person.